Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Road To Santiago

Almost a week had passed since I first took Mama Cat and Bobtail to the vet. It was an arduous day. I arrived very early at the clinic because as the only clinic in town that has more or less good equipment (though old), it is always full with patients, sometimes from surrounding small towns; people who wake up and start driving since dawn only to get their pets to the vet on time. It's no question that some of those pets died on their way, or on their last breath when they arrive to the clinic.

The first reaction of the newest vet there was "Oh, Mama, you are ready to deliver?" but as I explain my concerns she started touching Mama's tummy and her facial expression changes. "No babies", she said, "Only bumps, a lot of them. You'd better get her an X Ray as soon as possible because they closes at noon"

It was 10 am.

So I brief her about Bobtail, and as soon as she started with the litany of parasites names, she cut it short and tell me to go.

So I rushed back to the road with Mama Cat in her basket, drive 2 hours across the terrible traffic, registered, wait 20 minutes, go back to the cursed traffic, and back to the clinic at 2 pm. By that time, the other (more senior) vet already arrive at the clinic and looking at my face (they know me well enough), one of them walk straight to the cupboard and took all her surgery equipments, while I show her the actual X Ray.

She just shakes her head.




The vet clinic doesn't have a light box, so we see the X Ray by holding it against the sun. To upload it here I use my laptop monitor as the backlight and take a picture with my camera, so it's not clear, but I hope you can see round balls that lined up all the way to the chest cavity. The white big blob on both X Ray is the cancer. I am sure you know where the ribs are.

While waiting for the equipments to be properly sterilized, we have another emergency. A big Persian cat named "Bruce Willis" was taken back to the vet because he got urine blocking (twice already), the vets has to insert a catheter and since they have to helping hand, two of the vets dropped everything and  trying to hold Bruce with the help of a new volunteer, the only one I see after a year.

In a glimpse from next door, I know it's not right. The new volunteer was more busy with her position and the way her hair fall down than the cat. However, before I slip back to Mama Cat's side I hear my name called and go to the next room to watch the huge Bruce retaliate, is angry and bite whatever that comes across his face. The new volunteer was busy rubbing her arm and show it to everyone, including Bruce's parents, say "He scratched me, aw" over and over and burst to another room showing it off to other patients and other vet.

The two senior vets looked at me, peeked at Bruce's rear (that's bleeding) retracted the damaged catheter and get new one. Then she gave me a syringe, a bottle of Aqua Bidest and say "spray"

Two minutes. Bruce was back on Cathether, and peed a full bowl. No scratch, No bite, everybody happy, including Bruce.

I took a mental note to be careful when the new volunteer ever tried to handle Mama.

After Bruce is gone, It's Mama's turn. She has been calm and relaxed on the surgery table, that she doesn't even care the vet shaves one of her arm to insert an intravenous fluid. That's when the new volunteer comes into the room, put her laptop bag on the surgery table, pull out a pack of sea weed chips and eat there while boasting about how great the taste is and offer everyone for a try.

Without words, I moved her stuffs to the other table, including her seaweed. She didn't care and continue yapping and as she much off her seaweed, asking the vet what's going on, to which the vet said Mama had cancer and will be operated immediately.

She said "Oh", put her seaweed down, rub her hand onto her back, grab Mama's two front legs, and push them against the table with all her weight.

"Ok, she's ready" the volunteer chirps.

Mama gave a loud cry and started to trashed all over trying to break free. Mama cat, the calmest, most graceful feral cat I have ever met, is becoming a wild animal.

One of the vet said, "The legs are swollen"

It's just a few seconds. I push her aside and stand between her and Mama with my eyes straight into hers. I tried as hard as I can not to open my mouth because I know whatever is going to come out of it will not be good to hear. I just hope she is smart enough to realize what my gesture means.

She rushes out remorseless after the other vet give her eyeballs.

Because of the swollen legs we have to shave the back legs, but with the recent experience Mama lost trust on us, again trashing around and so we have to wait another day.

Her belly was already so tight that day. We were afraid that one of the balls inside her tummy burst and spill infection fluid everywhere, but we have to wait.

During my recess, I wondered if Mama is ever going to be all right again, and remember The Road To Santiago.

Road To Santiago is a legendary pilgrimage route taken by European Catholics since Medieval Age. Pilgrims started from the doorstep of their home and walk more or less 700 km through various choices of route to arrive to the church of Santiago De Compostela in Northern Spain. (Santiago is Spanish version of St. James, Jacques in French)

In the Codex_Calixtinus, Pope Callixtus II, wrote about the road: 

The pilgrim route is a very good thing, but it is narrow. For the road which leads us to life is narrow; on the other hand, the road which leads to death is broad and spacious. The pilgrim route is for those who are good: it is the lack of vices, the thwarting of the body, the increase of virtues, pardon for sins, sorrow for the penitent, the road of the righteous, love of the saints, faith in the resurrection and the reward of the blessed, a separation from hell, the protection of the heavens. It takes us away from luscious foods, it makes gluttonous fatness vanish, it restrains voluptuousness, constrains the appetites of the flesh which attack the fortress of the soul, cleanses the spirit, leads us to contemplation, humbles the haughty, raises up the lowly, loves poverty. It hates the reproach of those fuelled by greed. It loves, on the other hand, the person who gives to the poor. It rewards those who live simply and do good works; And, on the other hand, it does not pluck those who are stingy and wicked from the claws of sin.

I don't believe in coincidence, but I do not want to believe it's a premonition.

On the second day, a friend send me a message over facebook:

...believe me when I say I haven't been an animal lover and rescuer/advocate since I was a kid w/o having had gone through this to many times to count, and while it never gets easier, as you get older you tend to know the right answer, for yourself anyway, a lot sooner than when you were young
On the third day, another friend wrote me a message, also over facebook:

Oh my, her cancer condition is extremely bad. It takes a miracle for her to be cancer free. The best thing you can do is to provide the best care to her and allow her to enjoy her remaining time. Especially make her feel loved every moment. That's what I would do. Thanks for helping them.

During the tenure of that 3 days Mama Cat start slipping out and medication start to stop working, gradually. Her chest started to be filled with water. She shed a lot, and eat only a little. Looking back at those days, I should have known. Yet I choose to run away and continue my denials.

Besides, Mama Cat is finally ready. She is as calm and relaxed as she used to be, and we sedate her without any incident.

When the vet was about to put down that scalpel on her, however, she breathed deeply. Jerks for a second, took one more deep breath,

slipped the surly bonds of Earth
–and touched the Face of God

None of us in the room said anything. The vet was petrified with her scalpel still in mid air. I was gripping on the IV fluid's staff as I gaze on the fluid that was still dripping.

I don't know who was the first between us to jump back to reality, but whatever we did after that was surreal. Taking off oxygen mask, turning off the anaesthesia, pulling off IV. And then my vet dropped everything, go to the corner of the room and pray. I saw her trying very hard to keep her tears from flowing out.

I took Mama Cat to my arm and lay her down on my chest, still hoping that she is asleep. And then a friend of the volunteer who she brought along came inside and commented

"What a peaceful sleep"

She took my cell phone from my hand, took a picture, and gave it to me so I can see how she looks.

I didn't even realize until now that I was still holding the IV staff then.


A narrow road to life, indeed, but it's the road of the righteous, love of the saints, faith in the resurrection and the reward of the blessed, a separation from hell, the protection of the heavens.

It was already late when I arrived back home with Mama Cat's ashes. The night sky was light by the big full moon, right on top of the cattery, perhaps lighting the way for her to cross the rainbow bridge.

The cats are lining up at the background, watching the ashes flown off


I put her ashes there, in the middle of the backyard and have the wind carry her everywhere, as far as where she once roam the streets of the mountain side, and to cover the entire backyard where she will always belongs.

 When I came into the house, Bobtail was on top of the refrigerator. He has been hiding at the side of the fridge all the time since he went home. He still tiptoes wherever he goes, to his food bowl, or to drink, or to the bathroom, afraid; but staying in one place and not moving a lot helps his paws heal faster. His stubby tail is still bald, and all the wounds that start to crust made him very ugly, but with that charred paw he taps on my cheek, when I approach him, and then he pushed his head onto me.

It was that push that blow the dam I build so high to keep my tears inside.

Like Mama Cat, his path to life is narrow, though of different route and it's going to be a very long time to heal the depth of his heart. I cannot stop apologizing to him for letting him go to a wrong house, but I also never stop praising him for running away (?) and take his pilgrimage, on foot, few hundreds meters away, to find himself back home.

On my cellphone tonight, there's yet another message:


We laid him in a cool and shadowed grove
One evening in the dreamy scent of thyme
Where leaves were green, and whispered high above —
A grave as humble as it was sublime;
There, dreaming in the fading deeps of light —
The hands that thrilled to touch a woman's hair;
Brown eyes, that loved the Day, and looked on Night,
A soul that found at last its answered Prayer...
There daylight, as a dust, slips through the trees.
And drifting, gilds the fern around his grave —
Where even now, perhaps, the evening breeze
Steals shyly past the tomb of him who gave
New sight to blinded eyes; who sometimes wept —
A short time dearly loved; and after, — slept."

It's a poem by John Gillespie Magee Jr., an aviator poet in World War II. He fly for Royal Canadian Air Force, and his poem: High Flight, part of which I quoted on this post, is officially used by Royal Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, and United States Air Force Academy.  A choice made to bow respect to all of Mama Cat and Bobtail's supporters who come from USA, Canada, Australia and Netherlands.

17 comments:

  1. Josie,

    My heart is breaking for you, my dearest friend. Each of your charges is so very special to you, that I know. What a beautiful tribute to Mama Cat.

    It sounds like you have some wonderful vets that you work with. I'm so very happy about that. To know they cry when they loose a patient says a lot about them.

    I pray that knowing your sweet girl is now at the Rainbow Bridge watching over you and the others will help you through the heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so very close, dear Lori. I am sure that every soul in that operating room that day would envision Mama Cat's surgery ended with great success, and that one or two weeks later this Josie that they know always smile no matter what, will come back with Mama Cat in tow to undo the stitches.

      And yet, regardless how perfect is my house to her, heaven is - of course - far better place. Mama Cat will look so much better with a halo and a wing.

      I knew the vets since I came to Bandung in 2008. That clinic is always busy, so phones were seldom answered. It's a magic someone always answer the phone that day when I first got there with a dying kitten and keep calling for direction. Though they are first in doubt about me, one cat after another, one talk after another, they learn about, what I do, and how I do it. I think it amazes them to find one animal welfare enthusiast among the sea of breeders that comes to their clinic only to ask when their pet can be mated.

      We have a lot of memories together, in my side, from one cat to 40 now, and their side, from a small, old clinic that opened from 2 pm to 1o pm to keep the workers alive, until they modernize bit by bit, and now open from 9:30 am to 8 pm because there are so many people and their pets lining up. Majority of their patients still come just to ask when their pets can be mated, unfortunately, but we are hopeful that one day, they will find yet another animal welfare enthusiast who treated animals like living, sentient being and not a baby machine.

      Just in case you wonder, that dying kitten survives. Find "Kansai" on our Facebook album, and you will see how handsome that dying kitten is now.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you have this vet clinic and the vets to help you and your kitties, Josie. God meant for you to find them that day with Kansai because He knew you would need them many times over.

      Our heads always know that our furry babies are better off once they are in Heaven beyond the suffering but our hearts have trouble agreeing, my friend.

      I will check out Kansai' s photo on Facebook. Take care of yourself, my sweet friend. Head Bonus and kisses to you and the Mobsters.

      Delete
  2. OHHHH JOSIE, MY SWEET, AMAZING, LOVING, ADOPTED DAUGHTER, HOW I WISH I COULD GIVE U, A REAL, IN PERSON, CUDDLE !!! XXXXXXXX
    MAMA CAT, JUST LOOKS SLEEPY & OHH SOOO COMFY, IN THAT PIC, IN UR GENTLE, CARING ARMS ! XXXXX

    HER TIME WITH U WAS SHORT, BUT, SOOO IMPORTANT TO HER, TO KNOW UR LOVE & AFFECTION, AFTER HER LIFE OF HOMELESSNESS !

    I AM WONDERING WHY SUCH A YOUNG KITTEH,
    (# 2-3 YRS ?) ENDS UP WITH A STOMACH/WOMB, FULL OF CANCER ?

    IT'S OBVIOUSLY, AN EXTREMELY HARD LIFE, BEING
    A STREET KITTEH, IN BANDUNG :FEAST & FAMINE, SOILED FOOD ITEMS,; LOTS OF PREGNANCIES, FROM ABOUT # 4 MTHS OF AGE,; PLENTY OF STRESS, FROM CRUEL HUMANS, DOGS, CARS & DRINKING DISGUSTING WATER, FROM WHEREVER U CAN FIND IT !

    WELL NOW, I JUST ANSWERED MYSELF & I DON'T WONDER ANYMORE !!!

    JOSIE SWEETHEART, U DID EVERYTHING POSSIBLE, WITHIN UR POWER & THE KNOWLEDGE OF UR VET, TO HELP MAMA CAT, ; THERE WAS NO MORE U COULD, OR SHOULD HAVE DONE, ; U WERE EVEN READY TO *FIGHT* TO SAVE HER, FROM THE *DREADED, YOUNG & SELF ABSORBED, VOLUNTEER* ! XXXXX

    AS FOR BOBTAIL, HE'S JUST SOOO HAPPY & CONTENT, TO BE BACK HOME WITH U, THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR U TO FEEL GUILTY, ABOUT TRYING TO FIND HIM A HOME, WHERE HE COULD HAVE MORE PERSONALIZED ATTENTION ! XXXXXXX

    U ARE, BUT ONE, SLIM, GIRL & IT MUST BE VERY DIFFICULT, TO MAKE SURE EA KITTEH, GETS AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF *JOSIE TIME*, EA & EVERY DAY !

    OK, ENOUGH OF MY *WAFFLING ON *, GOD BLESS U JOSIE, SWEETIE, U & ALL UR MOBSTERS SYNDICATE !
    LOTS OF LOVE & CUDDLES, FROM UR AUSSIE MUMMY TRISH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear mother,

      When un-spayed female cats are on heat, their genital is wide open, getting ready to receive sperm. At that time, it is susceptible to infection, because anything can come in. When the heat does not turn into pregnancy, their pregnancy hormone is still in the womb, and whatever bacteria or germs that entered the wide open genital will find a perfect place to live. That's how things are happening, and we can't know when a cat can be infected. It can be her first heat, or the 10th. Even if the cat live indoor, it is still possible to get the cancer because germs are everywhere.

      And then, of course, what you said about bad food and pollution destroy their system.

      That is why it is very important to spay female cats as early as possible.

      Thank you so much for your understanding. Indeed I tried my best to find a home for everyone, so they can be as spoiled as they possibly can, although the chance to it is not as big as cats in Australia or other part of the more advanced world.

      I wish Bobcat will soon remember that he is a gentle, loving young cat, instead of a stifled door stopper.

      Delete
  3. RIP Mama Cat;( I bet she had her best time with you. I am so sorry for your loss. It is always a hard time to lose a fur ball. Again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a fur ball is hard, be it the first time or the hundredth, my dear Katrin. However, it comes with the job, so ready or not, that time will come.

      I have yet find a formula, or medicine, or any tools that can help me handle one death lighter than the other. I can only try to live it one day after another, but all of those losses, in the past, in present, and in the future, will be a reminder that although today one soul is lost, there are people like you who fight as hard as you can for animals. So I'd better not slack off.

      Delete
  4. Meet again at the Rainbow bridge

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry dear Josie for your loss of Mamacat. At least you were there with her, so she knew she was in safe hands. She was a brave kitty and she held on to life as long as she could- thankfully she was able to drift away peacefully while under anesthesia. As others have said, she is being greeted warmly by all your other little mobsters who have crossed the rainbow bridge- and they are all watching over you and loving you even though from afar....from your friend, Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During her short time to be with us, Mama Cat has never show any symptom. It still amazed me how she endures the cancer all alone. I feel guilty because I cannot be at least more understanding of what's going on, at least understand what she felt, but her head butts, her purrs, her gentle nibble on my fingers, and the way she lounged on the ironing table (her favourite place), convinced me that she is not in pain, and instead enjoying every moment.

      Made me wonder if she actually knows where she is going, and because of that enjoys her remaining days to the fullest.

      Delete
  6. I'm relieved to hear that Mama Cat passed away before the surgery- what a blessing to cross over 'peacefully' and not have to suffer any further. Thanks for seeing her through it, Josie.

    The poetry you choose to share is beautiful. Coehlo is such an inspirational writer and the poem by Magee was a delight.

    Rest well today- if you can...
    xo
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention Coehlo, I didn't think I ever mention to anyone anywhere that I love reading his books and that he is one of my favourite writers. I did put his books in my book list on facebook, but I never thought someone would pay any attention, much less deducted that I enjoy Coehlo, who frequently uses the Road To Santiago as metaphor in his novels.

      How wonderful it is to know that you do notice, Nicole. It's such an honour to have a friend who pays attention and care for each other. A true friend you are, compared to those who, in the face of my adversity, flooded my face book message with an invitation to play diamond dash, farmville, or even poker.

      Thank you. Thank you without end. I am honoured to call you a captain, and a friend.

      Delete
  7. Dear Josie,your compassionate loving Light and God's mercy made it possible for your precious beloved Mama Cat to endure the cancer for as long as she could, just to be with you. Her heavenly home glows like the halo she has so deservingly earned, now your fur Angel, to watch over and guide you always. You gave your Mama Cat all that she needed in life, and she gave you all she could making your bond an everlasting one. I cried when I read what you shared ... it reminded me of the day I found out my precious Plummie who I rescued in the park had a collapsed lung and had to be put to sleep ... I didn't know she was suffering ... and in the end, I had to let go. Deep in my soul there is comfort knowing all the love we shared on our journey together will last forever, just as your journey and bond with Mama Cat will endure.
    When you said: " slipped the surly bonds of Earth –and touched the Face of God " I cried even more. Somehow you enabled me to release the pain of feeling guilty,feeling like I had not done enough for Plummie... yet knowing all was beyond my control, and in God's hands, on earth and in Heaven.
    My heart and my prayers go out upon the winds and starry skies to you Josie, asking God to comfort you, to ease the pain of your loss, and I feel that Bobtail and your other cats are there for you in their own special ways.
    I can't thank you enough for sharing everything you went through, even though your heart was grieving. The picture of you holding Mama Cat is really special, because she looks very peaceful and she knows even as she is 'crossing over', that you are there with her, loving her forever.
    Peace be yours dear Josie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend Rosemary,

      Thank you for your soothing, healing message. It is an honour to be touched by someone who walks in my shoes.

      I took my turn then, to thank you for all your attention, kindness, compassion, care and love of all lives that you have shared Plummie. I am sure Mama Cat is as thrilled to have met her in rainbow bridge.

      Delete
  8. I see I can do comments here again! I wanted to come back to this heartbreaking news and send you my biggest condolences on the sad sad loss of Mama Cat, Josie. :*( I'm just glad that she got to be cared for, fed and loved, even just for a little while. She just found you too late and her poor body just couldn't let her carry on anymore. I'm also glad that her suffering is over, she must've felt just terrible. I'm sending you a giant hug and my sincerest thank you for being there for these sad kitties. Your pal, Kim in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is I who owe you a lot of thank you so very much for your support, my dear friend Kim. You are one of the few who shares the exact same feelings with me about the strays and ferals. I wish God bless you in abundance.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Us