Monday, September 16, 2013

Yesterday Once More

Just because cats are known to be low maintenance, it doesn't mean that their life is as cheap; but in this breeder capital of Indonesia, where people see all living being (human included, of course) as source of free money, I don't think anyone care.

And then, there's that outdated, idiotic misconception that doing business should "use as less to no resources as possible, to gain as much profit as possible"

So in every corner of slums in this metropolitanpuritan city, you will see cats living in rabbit cage, with plain rice and water, or a pinch of Friskies, and a  plate of sand to discharge, spending their life. Their only chance of going out of that box is when they are about to meet their mate, or if their breeder got enough of him/her and find someone else stupid enough to believe in the effortless profit maker myth and buy the overly bred cat.

What if the cat is sick? Go back to the equation. If the amount of resources needed to rear the "asset" is the same or higher than its price, throw it away on the street.

Chances are, someone will pick it up, or at least you will never see it again. Out of sight, out of mind. Life goes on.

But if you happen to bring your asset cat to meet the vet, thinking that it will cost you a little, but ended up have to pay more?

Cheat. Plain and simple.

It's so happened last month. A homemade breeder bring his cat to the vet clinic, complaining that his cat does not pee for quite some time and is being a nuisance. The vet gave the cat a look, and tell the owner that he got UTI (Urinary Tract Infection), most probably caused by bad quality feed. The vets put catheter into the cat, prescribe the medicine, and urge the owner to change the feed into better quality food, if they cannot afford the best. As a value adding service, the vet give his cat a free, self-made elizabeth collar to match his cat, so that it will not pull the catheter out.

Looking heart broken, the owner said that he feels so sorry for his cat, and ask if the vet can hold on for a moment because he wants to borrow a car from his relative, so that the cat will be more comfortable with all his new wardrobe and accessories on his way home.

You guess? The owner never return.

That way he doesn't have to pay any money for any service right?.

So, similar with his old days, this cat - dubbed BooBoo by the vets - spends his life in a cage, with Elizabeth collar that bump everywhere he move, and a catheter that irk his rear most of the time.

Yet he doesn't complain. For a cat that was bred for profit, he probably learn that life at its best is sitting nicely inside of a barred box waiting to be mated.

Life is a little bit better for BooBoo, when under the care of not only one, but three vets who all love cat, his UTI cleared out and he is off his bumpy collar and irksome catheter. However, since the clinic doesn't have boarding, and it's uber busy from morning to late night, he still got to live his life in the cage and go out only for one or two hours a day when the patients are all gone and the vets take some break to have supper before they all go home, and BooBoo has to go back to his jail.




BooBoo's right eye were swollen when he got a fight back from the clinic resident cat, and he was sulking in his sand box the whole day.


home, perhaps

With all sort of patients going back and forth everyday the whole day, it is only a matter of time before he got stressed and start clawing everyone around, especially the two resident cats who shares the same house.

To that point, BooBoo's only part in my life is when I lost Mama Cat. One of the vets who knows what is going on was trying to soothe us by telling his story, and I got to pet his head once or twice for self-consolation.

He replied my sorrowful vibes with his copper eyes, looking at me with such a curious glint; a spark of liveliness that told me that he is more than a doll-like cat who likes to sit and watch life goes by.

Still, until yesterday we hope that his owner didn't really mean to abandon him and will return with whatever reason to take him back. Even if he told us flat that he got no money at that time we would still understand and the vets won't charge anything more than the cost of the initial treatment. 

Besides, it's beyond reason that someone would rather abandon his cat for only a minor infection that cleared out within a week. Can't he just make sure that the cat's UTI is incurable before dumping it just like that?

After one month had passed and a few weeks more in waiting, however, we can no longer deny that whisper in our heart that BooBoo is indeed, dumped away.

What is in a name? a rose by any other name will be as sweet. Certainly, Shakespeare, what's in a name? in late 2011 I pull out a purebred silpoint Persian named Boo who was abandoned in another clinic, and now we have a Persian mix named BooBoo with similar fate?

The vets has two choice: give him to the friend of the silly seaweed chip volunteer, or have someone else (meaning whoever) adopted him by putting an ad in facebook.

Both options gave me goosebumps, so I step forward and give them the third choice: I will pay all his charges and pull him out.

It's (again) a stupid idea. My house is full and the fund raising seems to be rather stuck these days. I also have Martha who currently need the most medical attention, but here I am gambling my luck away and pull a cat out.

I seems to lose a lot of intelligence lately, but honestly, I just can't stand by and have those coppery glint of liveliness goes into yet another home to get into yet another cage.

The rest is the same old story, I took several more freelance job, and bring my carrier to the vet's clinic and pay.

The vets waive the catheter, the UTI medicine and the food they spend on BooBoo, but I got to pay for his vaccine and neutering; and half a million Rupiah moved from my ATM to their drawer, and I went home with a new cat to care for.

BooBoo still got to stay in a cage, but only for one night. The next morning I was kind of expecting a little fuss because he doesn't want to go out of the cage in the clinic, but he voluntarily jumped out of the cage as soon as I open the door. 



Since the vets told me he will try to fight with other cats, I watch him like a hawk when he meets the other cats, but to my surprise, he just sniff them up a little bit, turn around continue exploring.

It's not a surprise that The Whiskers' Syndicate no longer care about bullying new cat because there are so many come and go in their lifetime.

Unlike Abba Tealca who fight his way with almost every one in the Syndicate,  BooBoo arrived with no incident at all. He just lay down and doze off like my house is his all along, and blend in effortlessly. Perhaps because he used to be a house cat, so a household environment is more familiar (thus less stressful or agitating) for him, but I can't talk to him, and I'd freak out if he talk to me, so I just shrug and have him do it his own way.

on ironing table

that closet behind him is where I store cat food and bowls. Go figure what he is doing :D
checking kitchen counter

Since I already have a cat named Boo, I have to change his name to avoid confusion. Besides, the "original" Boo is already irritated when I called out "Boo" and he comes over only to find out I was talking with the other.

That said, why not have an early trick or treat? Help me find a good (new) name for this handsome boy and win this bag:



Courtesy of Whiscraft, this bag is made of patchwork of cotton fabric featuring fresh flower and a smiling cat. It is 26 centimeter (10.2 inches) wide, 18 centimeter (7 inches) tall, and 8 centimeter (3.1 inches) in depth. Patches may vary depending on available coordinating colours.

Here is how to join the naming game:

1. Make a single USD 5 donation through our Pitch In Box on the top right of the website page, and enter your suggested name in the "message" box.

2. Ask your friend and family to vote for you!

Here is how to vote:

1. Make a single USD 3 donation to our Pitch In on the top right of the page. If you donate USD 9, you have 3 votes!

2. Enter your voted name in the "message" box.

3. Ask your friends and family to join!

Names with most vote got the bag!

Aw, no prize for the voter?

Whoever vote the most get this:


Also courtesy of Whiscraft, this cute porcupine pouch is made of patchwork cotton. It is 13 centimeter (5.1 inches) wide and 10 centimeter (3.9 inches) tall.

All name entry will be displayed on our facebook page, our Google + page and on a box right here under the post.

The party ends on Monday, September 23, 2012. So don't miss it!


Name entry up to  Sept 17, 2013:
1. Teddy
2. Bear
3. Teddy Bear
4. Menanggung

Additional name entry Sept 18, 2013:

5. Baron (because he looks majestic)
6. Cooper (from Copper eyes)
7. Dante (writer of the infamous "Inferno". Inferno is due to the coat colour of the cat)
8. Oscar (of "Oscar Madison" in the motion picture "The Odd Couple").
There are also entries of other Oscar of "Oscar Wilde" and "Oscar the cat" so the name "Oscar" now has 3 votes, which put this name ahead of the other.

Entry Update Sept 19, 2013:

5. Baron + 4 votes
6. Cooper + 4 votes
8. Oscar + 3 votes
9. Caesar (because the cat look awesome)
10. Sebastian +15 votes

Sebastian is now a leading name choice.

It seems like the naming game escalates into a vote racing game. Everyone is busy campaigning! So, for you who hasn't join yet, get on your running shoes before you miss the fun.

Here is the name entry list up to Sept 20, 2013:

1. Teddy
2. Bear
3. Teddy Bear + 5 votes
4. Menanggung
5. Baron + 4 votes
6. Cooper + 4 votes
7. Dante
8. Oscar + 3 votes
9. Caesar
10. Sebastian +15 votes
11. Handsome Boy +6 votes

"Sebastian" is still leading with 15 votes. Any challenger?

Entry update up to Sept 21, 2013:

1. Teddy
2. Bear
3. Teddy Bear + 5 votes
4. Menanggung
5. Baron + 4 votes
6. Cooper + 4 votes
7. Dante
8. Oscar + 7 votes
9. Caesar
10. Sebastian +15 votes
11. Handsome Boy +6 votes

It's getting hotter here.

You can vote for one (or more) of the name above or submit your own up to Sept 23, 2013. Don't miss it!


Entry update up to Sept 22, 2013:

1. Teddy
2. Bear
3. Teddy Bear + 5 votes
4. Menanggung
5. Baron + 4 votes
6. Cooper + 4 votes
7. Dante
8. Oscar + 7 votes
9. Caesar
10. Sebastian +15 votes
11. Handsome Boy +6 votes

12. Grayson +1 votes

One more day to go. Make sure your name entry wins by inviting your friends and family to vote for you!.


On the last day of the game, here is the final entry

1. Teddy
2. Bear
3. Teddy Bear + 5 votes
4. Menanggung
5. Baron +4 votes
6. Cooper +4 votes
7. Dante
8. Oscar + 7 votes
9. Caesar
10. Sebastian +15 votes
11. Handsome Boy +6 votes
12. Grayson + 2 votes

According to the tally here is the position:

1. Sebastian (15)
2. Oscar (7)
3. Handsome Boy (6)
4. Teddy Bear (5)
6. Baron and Cooper (4)
7. Grayson (2)
8. Teddy, Bear, Menanggung, Dante, Caesar on the last places.

There are still a few hours left if you would like to vote or submit your own entry. May the best name win!

27 comments:

  1. YOO HOO should work well as a new name

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josie- you new boy is so handsome- I am glad he is getting along with everyone currently. I hope we can all come up with a good name for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only seem to come up with "color" themed names- "Steele", "Greystoke", or "Pewter"- but he is surely not "Silver" or "Pearl"- those names should go to a delicate light grey girl cat!

      Delete
    2. It's more fun when both my mothers are in the game. Submission updated! And you know what? we DO have a delicate light grey girl cat, in fact, we have two! One is cream, ash and pepper tabby, the other one is cream and ash calico. So I guess all of your suggestions are taken :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Gina C wrote on care2 that she forgot to offer up her name after she gave a donation- she would like to add the name "Handsome Boy" to the list of entries!

      Delete
    4. Handsome Boy is up in the list Christine, and Gina give enough for extra votes so I count that in as well :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Josie. Christeen's right, this beautiful boy needs a name all his own to fit him...and avoid "boo" problems :)

    BTW, does he stare at you like that all day?!
    He looks a bit judgmental...I'd be intimidated into thinking I wasn't doing things up to his obviously regal standards with that look of his ~ lol ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am convinced that he was born with those eyeball Ellen, and not only the both of us, he'd scare those aliens before they land on earth!

      When I first met him I was made into being "formal" and give him the back of my hand first. I was still hold off a little bit even when he arrived at home, until he just jumped out of that cage, stare at me and start playing with the Syndicate's jingle bell that happened to lie around near his leg (that's when I fall over). Trust me, those eyes completely hide his playful self.

      The original Boo is a pure blooded Persian and he doesn't even look scary at all.

      Would it be too much if I call him "Inferno"? after Dante? but meh, if he turned into the real devil I'd be in trouble lol.

      So what's your entry?

      Delete
    2. Why not just Dante? But you're right, should it become a self fulfilling prophecy you'd have him and mad hatter Martha to deal with...
      I'd name him Sorry, because that's what i'd probably be saying to him all day long for not doing things perfectly for him ~ lol

      But i'm instead going to say Oscar, after Oscar Madison of "The Odd Couple", just the opposite character of this big boy's regality.
      And because i loved Jack Klugman,(my daughter was his gopher at a fancy horse show when she was 9... and his son Adam is a friend of mine.

      And throw in Dante just to see if we're right...oh my :)

      Delete
  4. I am glad he is safe with you! He absolutely fits to your syndicate. BTW I am sure he knows what's going on. I would give him an old name:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks to me like a Caesar. I do not mean the bad qualities, but he looks sublime:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Josie and fellow kitty loving friends! It's Kim O here. :o) There's some great suggestions, that's for sure! I picked the name Sebastian as I think it's sort of a regal sound to it. He reminds me of a lion, they way he acts so laid back and cool like he's the king of the jungle AND the Syndicate. Not a worry in the world now. Huge hugs to Josie for coming to his rescue. What a miserable existence he must have lived. He has very captivating eyes, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Captivating eyes" is so beautiful while we are brutally honest with "glaring" XD
      So now we have king of the Syndicate and Lady Sparky Terror the goddess Bastet of the Syndicate?

      We're blessed!

      Sebastian is now in the list, and the regal name earn 15 votes so your entry is now leading Kim!

      Delete
    2. Hee hee! Is Sparky Terror still living up to her name? She's growing up so fast! Boo Boo's eyes almost look like he's trying to hypnotize you. Especially in the photo of him next to the blue cage. Does he stare at you a lot? Maybe he's trying to read your mind on where the GOOD snacks are kept! :oD

      Delete
    3. That's the question I always get when people look at his picture; but no, he didn't do it all day, otherwise his eyes would have fallen off by now XP. But would you believe that he can look cute with those big eyes when he ask me to play with him? Too bad he doesn't like being pictured when he's cute.

      I learn to play it smart though! every time he start glaring at me, I put on my glasses! haha (like it help anyway XD)

      Sparky Terror is still living up to her name. I will send you a link of a poster I recently made for her. She is now completely healed and is looking for a sponsor :)

      Delete
    4. How much is it to sponsor the little beastie??

      Delete
    5. To sponsor Sparky please go here (USD 10 per month):
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4GE6BVMMCB9ZJ

      To Help with her vaccine please go here (one time USD 15):
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=TFGEKXXLR2ZGS

      To help us spay Sparky please go here (one time USD 40):
      https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=X2PVKY5URKVZA

      Delete
    6. Hi Josie! I'd like to sponsor, vaccinate and spay baby Sparky Terror. I just have to wait until I send Danica all of her money before I can use my Paypal. It won't let me use my credit card only now without signing up. Dumb thing!!! I saved the links in case it takes past Oct 5.

      Delete
    7. Kim, if you click the link to Sparky's sponsorship, you will see a box right in the middle, and the paypal logo below it. Next to that logo is your log in information. Right under that, there's this tiny little words that said "No Paypal account? Pay using your credit card" You can use that link without logging in :)

      The other two link is the same, look under the log in blue box and find the same line.

      but before that, read this: THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES!

      Delete
    8. Helllooooo! I just transferred Danica's money out of my Paypal to send to her, so I just sent you $179 with my Visa! I figured it was easier to send a year's worth for Sparky Terrible. I sent it to your pitch in fund all in one payment. Easier and less horsing around! I put a sticky note on my desktop so I remember to send again next year! Please give the little beast a kiss from me!!

      Delete
    9. HUGE Thank you for your generosity and support Kim. And yes, I delivered your kiss to her. Last time I try to do that she scratch my cheek, but this time I play it smart: I huggle her while she is sleeping! so when she wake up it's all over and she can only look at me with irritated look. Unfortunately the score is still Sparky Terror 10, Josie 1.

      Delete
  7. SOME REALLY COOL NAMES, IN THAT LIST !
    HEY, JOSIE SWEETIE, IS THERE ANYWAY, I CAN PAY FOR UR INTERNET, COS I HAVE PAYPAL & A VISA CARD, IT WOULD BE ANOTHER WAY I CAN DONATE TO U REGULARLY !
    LET ME KNOW OK ? LUV FROM UR AUSSIE MUMMY ! XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the process of sorting out suitable platform which can load the kitty's data and link to their sponsorships so there's no need to copy and paste paypal link and put Kim into trouble like above post. Thank you so very much for your kindest gesture mummy, I will let you know soon. Meanwhile we will be saving all those post before they are gone :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Us