Thursday, April 8, 2010

Renoir's Midsummer Dream

It is impossible to write about Renoir without mentioning Picassa, and the other way around. The two of them seemingly have inseparable fate, though each ended in different timeline in the Syndicate.

We met a few weeks after I met Picassa, on one of our journeys to the vet for her physiotherapy. Our route home incorporated a makeshift traditional wet market that we always wish we can avoid. First, because it's dirty, second, it's smell, and third, there are heaps of sad sightseeing that includes dying or miserable cats or dogs that we hope we can save. It's a double edged knife, and we always have to kill ourselves thrice. We have to kill ourselves as we brace their pitiful stare, begging to be saved, we have to kill ourselves as we move on, leaving them behind because we cannot save them, and we kill ourselves once more because of our inability to save them.

On this particular day, we spotted a small lump by the puddle near the sidewalk (supposed to be, but people used it to sell vegetable and all sort of things so we can't walk on there).

Though it was only a few second, I knew it was a small kitten; so I stopped and nudge the soft lump.
It didn't move, so I tried peeking lower to see his face, and found out that both of his eyes were glued with yellowish hardened pus, and his nose is almost gone below the pile of crusty sinuses.

In short, I think, the kitten doesn't want to be disturbed. He just want to stay there and die in peace.

But I am an uber nosy person so I scoop him up, open my bag, apologize to a bewildered Picassa inside it, and push the dirty and dying kitten in.

Renoir, 2 months old
Later that night when I , remove the pus in his eyes, clean sinus crust and wipe him clean with an organic anti bacteria, the ugly fur lump slowly turned to a very handsome, 3 months old, kitten, with an unusual lump on his left belly. So I tried to lift him up much to his chagrin, and found out that his left belly is indeed bigger than the right side, hinting me that this kitten might have suffered from Hernia.

Since I don't have any more money left to pay the vet, I focus to cure his severe sinus first. Really, this kid has slime filling up his throat that he has to breathe like fish: gaping with mouth open and sleep while he sit.

Within a few days when his ticks and mange are fully removed, and his sinus is getting better, he is now close friends with younger Picassa, and since the two are inseparable, I called him Renoir, which he seems to like because whenever I pronounce that name, he meows.

The next week, I got some money so I get him to the vet, which only shake her head with my persistence in saving street animals, despite my financial famine, but that is not the big point. The real breaking news is: Renoir does have Hernia, and the fact that he is 3 months old doesn't help, because kitten that age tend to run and jump, and it make the hole ripped bigger and bigger.

I had the option of sedating him though, so that he is more "calm" and "subdued" but I vehemently against the idea, because it will be the same like ripping Renoir his youthful days.

The vet, in the other side, refuse to perform a surgery on him because he is too small to handle it. She told me that it is best to wait until he is 3 or 4 months older so his physical condition is better fitted for the surgery.

Meanwhile, I have an extra hard thing to do: making sure Renoir doesn't go wherever or do whatever that can cause a wound on his belly, because one wound can directly affect his intestine, also, because of that lump (which is getting bigger) pushes his hind left leg away that Renoir cannot walk or run properly.

Have a difficulty to imagine? Well try to walk, or run (if you can) with your legs spread as widely as possible. Then Renoir would be completely offended because you are definitely mimicking him. :P
During that three months, I also have to keep Renoir well conditioned, with special food, vitamins, that will give him not only balanced, but most complete nutrition to ensure him a perfect growth and condition when he undergo the surgery.

My biggest challenge is.... money (yeah, right). I tried adding extra hour on my night job and on weekends, but the extra income won't even match the price of his food. I dare not imagine what should I do when the surgery day come because it will certainly, cost me more than IDR 3,000,000.00 (after a huge discount from the vet). In total, he would need at least IDR 5,000,000.00 (approx USD 550.00)

Help Me?
The good news is...luckily, this is Indonesia. a country where USD 1 will worth approx IDR 9,000.00. In Euro or Pound the number will even exceed 10,000.00. How great that would be? A single coin worth ten thousand time across the ocean?
One good karma multiplied ten thousand fold? I can guarantee that this is not an April fool joke.

Are you willing to try?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Us